Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Falling for a number of things

Today I took a 'trip' down memory lane back to my klutzy tween years, to be painfully punny. I had a meeting with a professor whose class I'm going to audit next semester, after which I ran back to my room to get a few books before work at the library. On the way from Schrader to Livingston, I was fumbling for my phone to see what time it was because I was worrying about being late and wasn't paying attention to where I was walking, and BAM! I walked right off the sidewalk and did a face plant in the dirt.

The most unfortunate part about it was the fact that I fell right outside the floor to ceiling windows of the dining hall. I have no doubt that quite a few people saw me. After picking up all my books, I gave new meaning to the term "walk of shame" as I sped away with my my head hung abashedly.

Despite the bruised knees, today has been a pretty excellent day. We're reading Nabokov's Speak, Memory in my "Critical Reading: Autobiography" class, and on Monday my professor was talking about how Nabokov had synesthesia. My immediate thought was of one of my favorite Dinosaur Comics, and after class I went out on a limb and decided to send him the link. Well, he really enjoyed it, and proceeded to print it out and share it with my class today. So basically we're getting married, despite the fact that a) he could be my grandfather, and b) he has quite a thing for Freud, as Tim and I discussed earlier. I've decided that I can put up with an Oedipus complex in exchange for a relationship brimming with Shakespeare and Dinosaur Comics, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am reminded of your "trip" off the school bus steps - the 1 of 10 trips you took during your grammer school years!
cici