Sunday, April 27, 2008

Concerning hobbits and weather

I am back from a weekend with Amy at Brown replete with Lord of the Rings references; it was lovely. Coming back, though, I felt almost guilty about having so many negative thoughts about my own school while I was there. . . being in Providence highlighted the reason why I'm sometimes unhappy here--feeling like I'm stranded, basically--and because of that I unwittingly continued to make other comparisons to Geneseo. Anyways. The point of this circular blathering is to say that while distance may be a vantage point (as I told Amy earlier about something completely different), sometimes it obscures the wonderful things about a place. And, in the words of Gandalf, even the very wise cannot see all ends. So I am decidedly happy . . . this may or may not be influenced by the fact that I'll be home in less than three weeks, but whatever!

The forecast for western New York includes rain for the next ten days. While this would typically be a depressing scenario, I'm actually glad because a) it will drive me indoors to get some real work done, and b) I will not feel resentful that I am inside working at the circulation desk and missing the prime of the afternoon on the green every day.

Side note: the taxi driver who brought me to the airport on Friday asked me riddles for a good twenty minutes. He said I was able to answer the most out of any of his customers to date. Am I bragging? YES.

I will end with one of his riddles (which I did not answer correctly); if you get the right answer without googling it, I will be very impressed:

What did the fish say when he swam into a concrete wall?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. When I went to N.C. State in March...I loved it. I just wanted to stay there, I hated coming back.

Anonymous said...

"DAM!"

I swear I didn't Google it, but I'd heard that one before... half-credit? :)