Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mad love for the internetz

The past few hours have been dedicated to I Can Has Cheezburger, a website comprised of cat pictures with ridiculous captions that are all spelled incorrectly and are all hilarious. I have a new appreciation for the site now that I have my own LolCat to laugh at. Ginny goes from being adorable to hysterical and I am always entertained. I never thought I'd be a cat person. Ever.

Other than that slight distraction, though, I've totally been plowing through work this week. Most of it is slow going, but I feel so much more productive at home than I have been in a while. It's a good feeling.

I'm writing and doing major edits on my short story for Monday's workshop; while I'm still fairly happy with the idea itself, I didn't realize that I'd come across so many stumbling points along the way just in getting it down on paper. I got the idea for the story from Overheard in New York (incidentally, another one of my favorite websites), this blog where people can post bizarre or funny conversations that they've overheard in the subway, on the street, in line at Starbucks . . . it's very entertaining. Anyways, I was reading through the posts and trying to find a shred of inspiring stuff when I came across this entry:

Geek: Well, she was dog-sitting and the dog died. The family, I guess, was someplace where they couldn't get home, so she had to take care of it.
Dude: Take care of it?
Geek: Well, she was in Boston but didn't have a car and didn't know what to do with it because she couldn't carry it, so she put it in a rolling suitcase to take it to the vet. On her way there, some guy saw her struggling with the bag and offered to help her carry it. When they were almost to the vet he asked what was in the bag, and, because I guess she didn't think she could tell him that there was a dead dog in the bag, she said, 'Electronics!' Apparently, he looked at her, looked at the bag, punched her in the face, and ran off with the dog! Can you f'ing believe it?! He stole the dead dog!
So yeah. Example of snags that have come about: the family is away on vacation, so where is the character supposed to find a large suitcase for the dog?

We'll see what happens.

No comments: