Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Scandalous!

I made a conscious decision to do no work tonight. So glad I can stick to my goals.

Today was crazier than usual; instead of the weekend train slowing normally and letting me off at Monday, I had to jump off full-speed at Tuesday. Not a pleasant transition. Yesterday I forced 200 pages of Moll Flanders down my throat for British Literature . . . Katy and I were reading in the common room and every ten minutes or so I would look up at her and announce the status of the titular character; examples of such expulsions are as follows:

"Her lover just paid her to marry his brother."
"She just had three kids with her biological brother without knowing it was him."
"A cuckolded banker just divorced his wife to marry her."

With all this ridiculous eighteenth-century scandal going on, you'd think it would be an interesting read. Not so. It must take a whole lot of skill to make something that raunchy so positively bland.

Dr. Asher, however, is a doll. Am I allowed to call my male professor a doll? Because he is. He sounds exactly like Bill Murray except for the joking, and he's completely laid-back and genuinely interested in anything and everything that his students offer during class. We meet once a week, on Tuesdays.

The time is now 12:36, and the library will be closing in 24 minutes. Time to go wake people up.

No comments: