Sunday, August 31, 2008

The social experiment

Last night was the first radio party of the semester, and Ellen, Julie and I attended.

In preparation for said party, I bought a six-pack of IBC cream soda and packed it in a little brown J. Crew bag to come with us. When we arrived there, we countered their Coronas and Yellowtail with our own glass bottles filled with amber liquid, and nobody questioned a thing. We laughed and danced to Of Montreal like we would any other time, and people had no problem joining in because they thought we had been drinking as well. At one point, a friend of ours walked over and we encouraged him to dance with us too. His reply was "No, I really haven't had enough for me to dance, really," so we let him in on our secret. He didn't believe us until he tried a sip, laughed, and allowed himself to be taught the Dino Dance.

It makes me think about social drinking as a concept--it's like a medium through which people feel "allowed" to be silly and fun together without being judged for their words and actions . . . it really is interesting. I still have another six-pack of party drinks, so I believe we'll be trying it again fairly soon.

Side note: Six bottles of cream soda cost $2.47 at Wal-Mart. The money saved went to possibly the best slice of pepperoni pizza I've ever had from Mia's.

All in all, the night was a big win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honestly... the Dino Dance is not something I'd want to risk not being able to remember! :)