Sunday, August 10, 2008

Barbara-isms

(while showing me a rug she'd purchased at Kohl's)
"See, it says 'Peace, Love, Faith.' Ain't that nice? I'm real into that stuff now, now I'm a Born-Again Christian 'cause everything they say is the damned truth."
(later)
"Do you have any angels here, anything like that? I'm into that big time, I'm into figures, elephants, crystals . . . look, I've got these crystal bracelets and I'm wearing my jade elephant right now."

(she pulls out a calendar filled with pictures of Billy Ray Cyrus posing shirtless with various tractors and muscle cars)
B: Do you like Billy Ray Cyrus? You like him?
M: Yeah, that Achy Breaky Heart's pretty classic.
B: Well, look at this. I saw him in concert how many years ago . . . look at that, when's it from?
M: 1994.
B: Well me an' my daughter rented this great red car and saw him in concert at Westbury then; he's just the best. Y'know who I love now though? (puts hand on heart) That Ricky Martin is just dreamy. That Livin' La Vida Loca? Ahhh. I've got big posters of him all over my room, big ones in glass.

(after telling me about how she cursed out the teller at Chase and got a plastic pink pig keychain out of it)
"You take a lesson from me, I'm smart. I know what I'm doing."


And then she said the one thing I couldn't dispute:

"I'm gettin' crazy in my old age!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this discribes east end perfectly ms. pipe. i miss you<3 i love reading your blogs!