Thursday, September 4, 2008

Live from the Blake basement

So today was our (my and Ellen's) first radio broadcast of the semester . . . I won't say it was disastrous because it wasn't at all, but I left thoroughly shamed. Before telling you this story, though, let me first disclaim that I recognize my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to music in general; one of the reasons I enjoy radio so much is because I'm always hearing something I've never been exposed to before.

Anyways, today during the show a slip of paper printed out of a machine near the sound board directing us to run a weekly broadcast test (when you hear a few long, shrill beeps randomly and a muffled voice telling you that "this is a test of the emergency broadcast system"). I never had to run one last semester and had no idea which button to press, so I sent an instant message to the radio director. He was really cool about it and told me what to do, turning on his own radio to check and make sure it worked. After telling me it had gone through, he sent me a random person's name followed by a question mark, as if checking to see who he was speaking with.

So I respond, "Nope, this is Meghan and Ellen," then realize a split second after sending the message that the name he'd sent was the name of the artist playing on the radio at that moment.

DUH.

So, uh, moral of the story: save your pride and always stay up on the current jams.

Side note: I didn't share the name of the artist because I HAVE ALREADY FORGOTTEN IT.

I'm hopeless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my days of doing college radio (WRPI - Troy, NY) and having moments like that. It's a great way to train yourself to think/stall on your feet though.

I remember there would be times where I would be jabbering on the mic (a.k.a. stalling) while trying to get the CD player or whatever else up and running... Good times...

(Found you through Student Bloggers)

MEP said...

Never let 'em see (er, hear?) you sweat! Thanks for visiting :)