Friday, February 8, 2008

Labels

I think it's so funny, the way that people feel the need to label themselves. Examples:

Katy told me that in Puerto Rico (I think that's where she said), gay men grow their hair into rat tails so they can distinguish themselves from straight men.

Tattoos, perhaps the most literal way to label yourself.

Then you've got clothing. I don't exclude myself from this at all, but just walking around campus I think it's so weird to see everyone defining themselves as 'GENESEO EDUCATION' or 'GENESEO BIOLOGY' or 'GENESEO PONG TEAM,' whatever. There are automatically assumptions made and meaning ascribed to what you choose to say on your chest, and no one is excluded from scrutiny. Not to be weird, but I think it's cool to think about.

However, I do wish that people chose to label themselves with information that was useful. Like if you're a tool, everyone would benefit from you emblazoning your sweatshirt with my favorite four letter word instead of your favorite college team. Like a visual sieve. Awesome.

If you had to wear a word, what word would it be?

I'm seriously curious; if you happen to read this, please comment a response. Don't even tell me who you are, just post a word. It doesn't have to be an adjective . . . any sort of word will do. Just think--if someone were to ascribe meaning to you, what would you want them to think right off the bat?

I think mine would be 'ink.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's been done- and I'm not entirely in love with the marketing of this product, but "Life is Good"- just the words- no graphic of 'Joe'. I wear it even when I'm not totally feelin' it-- and I think it makes those negative minded people who view it think 'she must know something I'll never know'--- why do I find satisfaction in that?

Ellen said...

"jew"