Tuesday, February 12, 2008

All hail the little snail

I'm sitting in the library cafe, waiting for my next library shift to start, and it smells like cinnamon. I love the smell of cinnamon anything--it reminds me of my mom making cinnamon toast late at night or early in the morning . . . that and the fact that it makes me want to wrap myself in a blanket and watch Pride and Prejudice with a cup of tea make it one of my favorite smells.

I have to write a 'praise poem' for creative writing tomorrow. It's been on my mind for a while so it's not like I've been putting it off, I'm just utterly uninspired. The assignment is to write about something that isn't typically seen as praiseworthy . . . the example given was Komunyakaa's "Ode to the Maggot":

Brother of the blowfly
And godhead, you work magic
Over battlefields,
In slabs of bad pork

And flophouses. Yes, you
Go to the root of all things.
You are sound & mathematical.
Jesus Christ, you're merciless

With the truth. Ontological & lustrous,
You cast spells on beggars & kings
Behind the stone door of Caesar's tomb
Or split trench in a field of ragweed.

No decree or creed can outlaw you
As you take every living thing apart. Little
Master of earth, no one gets to heaven
Without going through you first.


I wish I were that clever. Sigh. Writer's block, please go away.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Okay, upadate. I title my entries just before posting, and I was trying to remember the wording of that Fatboy Slim song (and make it the title), so I typed 'praise you like I should' into google and one of the first links to appear was for this YouTube video. The video was titled "I have to praise you like I should," and the description read: "I made this video to show how cool snails really are."

WATCH IT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ragTl31qWDw

I have found my inspiration. Oh slimy snail, shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

No comments: