Saturday, May 17, 2008

Happy places

This afternoon, I was driving with Keira back from Port Jefferson and while waiting at a red light, she asked me, "So, trick question . . . where are you happier to be: here or Geneseo?"

I just stuttered for a few seconds, trying to come up with a truthful response and finally replied, "Well, I'm really glad to be home right now." She laughed and said that of course I was, that's why it was a trick question.

It made me think, though, about the duality of my life now. Being happier here would mean that there is somewhere better for me than the place where I live two-thirds of the year, which I don't necessarily think is true. I don't know. The fact that a large portion of my belongings is in storage 300 miles away is so weird . . . I've felt for a while that my life is spread out in different places--on Long Island, in Geneseo, following my friends abroad or in various college towns--but having my stuff planted elsewhere is concrete.

It almost makes me want to live out of a backpack. Or be a turtle.

My grades came back; I didn't do as well as I'd expected and missed the Dean's List by hundredths of a point. Can't wait for my relatives to ask about it. On the plus side, I will never return to my freshman year of college again . . . I'm happy that Geneseo is on the other side of summer, but unspeakably so that it will not be a continuation of the past year.

This is not the time to be thinking about next semester, though. Cheers to a three-month summer!

No comments: