Thursday, October 30, 2008

Our deluxe apartment in the sky

Since signing a lease with my roommate for an apartment next year, it's been increasingly difficult for the both of us to feel content in our box of a room on campus. Every time we sit cross-legged on the floor to eat lunch picnic-style or wash out our coffee mugs in the bathroom sink, all Katy and I can do is just remind each other about the glowing paradise of a two-bedroom place on Main Street just waiting to envelop us. The latest reminder of why being on campus can be lame arrived just before 1 AM this morning when the fire alarm went off. I had fallen asleep about an hour earlier after taking a shower so my hair was still wet and I was totally disoriented and quite angry . . . we waited outside and froze for fifteen minutes while University Police tried to reset the fire alarm that was triggered after some idiot (upon whose head I now have a bounty) used a fire extinguisher for kicks.

Did I mention that there was snow on the ground when I woke up yesterday morning?

Anyways, this isn't meant to be a total bash of on-campus living because there are some good things . . . namely, the magical robots in the basement otherwise known as washers and dryers. They are brand spankin' new and connect to this website, which you can check to see if machines are open or, if in use, how much longer each cycle will take. I used it this morning after class when I did two weeks' worth of laundry; domesticity has never been more fabulous.

So yeah, I get it, there are pros and cons to everything . . . but my daydreams of late always seem to end with a whistling tea kettle and a kitchen table. Patience, patience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only been in on-campus housing at NYU for two months, and I'm already starting to go crazy.

Unfortunately, unless I get five roommates to squeeze into a studio apartment with me and split the rent, there's no way I'm going to be able to afford anything within 15 miles of campus that hasn't had a murder in the past week. Ahh, Manhattan... :/

Anonymous said...

tea kettle and table sounds good -but you forgot the FULL size fridge! you can shop 1-2 days a week . the future is looking good:)

cici