Thursday, January 17, 2008

Clarity

"Well, I think it’s more difficult to be clear than to be obscure."

Oh, Billy Collins, why must you say everything that needs to be said? I was lamenting the fact that everything I write ends up being either vapid and pointless or far too close to home to be anything I'd ever show anyone when I found that quote. You'd think that just saying what needs to be said would be much easier than beating around the bush, but I think that embellishing stories of any kind (be it adding eight inches to the length of the fish you caught or losing the point of a poem to flowery adjectives) is just what we do--if we have the pluck to say anything in the first place. We're storytellers by nature, and while it's mostly a good thing, sometimes I just want to slap people (myself included) and tell them to be straight up. In a nice way, of course.

Anyways. Enough senseless chatter, but to continue on the topic of being clear . . . a toast for clarity goes to UrbanDictionary, everyone's favorite resource for finding the meaning of terms we're all too sheepish to ask about! Seriously, though. I think it was in tenth grade; people started throwing around the term 'spooning' and I had no clue what anyone was talking about. Thank you, UrbanDictionary, for introducing me to the gentle art of horizontal hugging. Who would've thought that the name was indicative of the definition? Psh.

Funny cat story of the day: I woke up this morning (er, afternoon) and shuffled into the bathroom to brush my teeth; as I was doing so, Ginny bounded onto the countertop and then onto my back, clinging onto my sweatshirt with her nails. I bent my back at this point just so she wouldn't fall, and she proceeded to climb onto my shoulders and, from there, she perched herself atop my head. As I was brushing my teeth. Good morning to you, too, Ginny dear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"they'd like to see through me,
but nothing is more opaque
than absolute transparency..."
-Margaret Atwood