Saturday, July 25, 2009

Learning Irish

We've toured quite a few museums in the last two days and have a few more on the itenerary today, and wherever captions accompany a painting or an exhibit it is posted in English and in Irish (or Gaelic, but most here refer to it as the former). While I've heard many a brogue, though, I haven't once heard Irish spoken. Part of it is because Dublin seems to be comprised wholly of tourists (save for the two cabbies I've spoken to) and it's also because nobody speaks the language anymore. I asked Kelly, a friend on the trip whose father immigrated from Ireland, who actually spoke Irish and she told me that there are parts of the deep country where Irish is the primary language and nobody speaks English. That was heartening, but I still felt this sort of sadness for the valiant effort the country makes to keep this dying language alive and current. The cab driver last night told Rachel and Rob (my professors), Jake and I that learning Irish is now the equivalent of learning a second language in school--the way we learn Spanish or French or Italian. After grade school, it's largely forgotten save a few phrases.

Anyways, I feel this responsibility to make an effort. Ireland has extended itself to me and, in turn, I want to hold up my end of the deal. Yesterday I was just wandering around when we had a few spare hours before dinner and the ceile (pronounced kay-lee) we went to for Irish dancing and music, and found this international bookstore where I bought a book on Irish and an accompanying CD with pronounciations and everything. I'm not saying my goal is fluency or anything, but without getting all "MY PEOPLE!" on anyone, there is the thought that this is where my family is from. They probably spoke Irish at one time, and I think that's a pretty cool thing. History feels more important and more real in a place that's so old (I touched an 800-year-old mummy's hand yesterday at Saint Michan's Church).

There is so much I want to write about but there is only so much time before we have to meet to start another day. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to get back onto here and convey at least some of it, but if not, tomorrow we're flying to the west coast to move into the apartments and kick off the two weeks of the Yeats school. Touring Dublin has been amazing, but I'm looking forward to a sense of relative normalcy for a little while.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1st of many trips abroad .. a women of my own liking!! Lucky to entrench in the culture, history & LANGUAGE -WOW! I am never surpised at your perserverence ... ability to absorb the most at wonderful opportunities. Enjoy motherland!SO proud of my niece :D! 143 YAIT

Anonymous said...

meg-love to read your expressive observations and thoughts. looking forward to your next post!

love-cici

amaloo said...

that's awesome! good for you! i'm just wondering why you'd hesitate to get all "MY PEOPLE," because as we well know, you have been known to in the past. ;) just kidding!

love! (from me and my family, who are all very excited for you.)

Anonymous said...

Yo LB this is your biffle LP from the US writing to say I miss ya, and to tell you my most pressing news--I got my Twilight poster yesterday :)

Bring home a nice Irish bloke for me, would ya?