Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I love people

Encounters with interesting people make nine-hour shifts go by much easier:

Earlier this morning, a woman came in to order shirts for the business she and her husband are starting; it's a biodiesel fuel supply company! The two of them drive a 2003 Jetta powered by waste vegetable oil, and they're in the process of converting their home's energy needs to waste vegetable oil as well. How cool is that? My mom asked her if she and her husband have degrees in science and she replied, "Nope, he was in the Air Force. We both just have very green lifestyles."

Then, I was on the phone a few hours ago ordering heat-applied lettering from a company called Stahl's, and the operator I was speaking with was completely nice and friendly. She had a minor stuttering problem (which is not what I found funny, how m-m-mean do you think I am?) but the thing I couldn't get over was that while otherwise speaking normally, she said my name like a computer would: "Okay, so I have ten sets of pro-block in the letter U as in uncle, is there anything else I can help you with MEGHAN?" The absence of a comma after 'with' is intentional. Props to Stahl's for not having job discrimination against cyborgs!

And most recently I was serenaded by a five-year-old. He came into the store with his mother to buy a few shirts, and while I was ringing up the sale he told me he had a talent show in school that day; his talent was singing Raindrops On Roses. The little troubadour didn't need much coaxing to sing the entire thing to myself and my mom. ADORABLE. If you ever see me on America's Most Wanted for kidnapping, just know that I had good intentions.

No comments: